1. Embroidered and embellished. From delicate floral embroidery to fun emoji patches, this theme is all about customization and character. Choose from iron-on patches (like these adorable ones) and create a D.I.Y. project, or opt for decorated florals inspired by Gucci (like this denim jacket), Stella McCartney, or Maje.
Shop embellished denim:
2. Distressed and destroyed. The more distressed, the better. Holes, shredding, and deconstructed details were everywhere this season. Notable styles include the distressed mini skirt and boyfriend jeans.
Shop distressed denim:
3. The trucker trend. A key item moving into 2017 is the oversized denim jacket, a.k.a. the trucker jacket. The newest way to wear it? Worn off the shoulder (inspired by this Balenciaga jacket) with sleeves rolled up in a nonchalant way.
Shop trucker jackets:
4. Artisanal statements. Denim takes on a boho edge with crafty details such as beading, floral motifs, colorful embroidery, and tassels.
Shop embellished artisanal denim:
5. Frayed fringe and raw hemlines. All eyes are on hemlines as frayed, shredded, and raw hems create an undone look. The stepped/uneven hemlines inspired by Vetements from past seasons has evolved into a straight hemline with a messy, frayed look.
Shop frayed denim:
6. High-waisted shorts. An important silhouette for spring/summer, high-waisted shorts were balanced out with updated distressing, embroidery, and woven tops. Most styles hit just above the navel, and pair easily with '90s styles including ruffled tops, bodysuits, and crop tops.
Shop high waist shorts:
For more trend updates, shopping reports, Insta stories, and forecasting info, follow along on social media @thekeytochic.
See more denim themes: