© 2007-2024 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Material Girl Review - Part 2

Armed with a gift card courtesy of the generous folks at Macy's, I shopped the Material Girl Collection last night in the hopes of finding a versatile yet casual outfit. Having reviewed the Material Girl collection when it debuted in August, I knew what to expect: vibrant prints, flirty dresses, trendy silhouettes, and sizing that runs slightly inconsistent. I was met with racks of body con mini skirts, floral dresses, animal prints, knit blazers, boxy sweaters, drapey tanks, and studded belts. Since my last review, they've added footwear to the mix in the form of patent pumps and canvas Mary Janes. After inspecting the displays for outfit inspiration and browsing the racks for a few minutes, I brought several pieces into the fitting room to create some warm weather looks.
MaterialGirlDisplay

MaterialGirlTuxedoBlazer

Material Girl military style

MaterialGirlShoes

MaterialGirlBlazer
My favorite piece (both on the racks and on myself) was this blue watercolor print dress. The print gave it an artsy vibe, while the front zip and bustier styling made it flirty. I tried on a small, and found it to run very small. I'm wearing it layered under the Rodarte-esque ladder knit sweater, which runs big but felt incredibly comfortable. Bonus points for having adjustable straps, a flattering A-line skirt shape, and lightweight rayon fabric that's perfect for summer. I'd wear this with black platforms, my new H&M Conscious white crochet vest, layered necklaces, and wavy hair for a casual spring day.
MaterialGirlWatercolorDress

MaterialGirlOutfit

The next piece I tried was the paradise pink dress. I appreciated the lightly padded cups and bustier style bodice, however, I found the back zip to be sorely lacking in the quality department. I'm wearing a size small, and it runs true to size. Bonus points for having a great fit and a fun, summery print. I'd wear this with a lightweight cardigan, black belt, tan wedges, and straw boater hat for a day at the farmers' market or while having a leisurely brunch.

MaterialGirlPinkPrintDress

MaterialGirlPinkPrintDress
The next look consists of a polka dot tank (with a black lace back) and a floral zip skirt. I adore mixing prints, especially florals with polka dots. The top runs big, and the skirt runs small; I'm wearing an XS in the top and a small in the skirt. Bonus points for the skirt having a lining, two hip pockets, and a sturdy zipper. I'd wear this outfit out for a summer night on the town with sparkly bangles, a side fishtail, bright lips, and platform block heels.
Material Girl Outfit
Truth be told, I've been searching for the perfect black jumpsuit (for day and night) for a few months now, and I decided to give this tank style one a try. Jumpsuits often have tricky fits, which is why I have yet to find the right one. This one is a small, and runs true to size. Unfortunately, it had very narrow leg openings, and was more narrow at the ankle than I desired. Overall, I found it comfortable, and appreciated the hip pockets. I had to veto the fit due to the harem silhouette which I found to be less than desirable.

Material Girl jumpsuit


While I've found that the selection of Material Girl pieces varies widely depending upon the Macy's I visit, it pays to visit often, because the merchandise (in my area) seems to go quickly, especially the smaller sizes. As a general guideline, I've found the drapey tanks and boxy knits to run big, while the mini skirts, bodysuits, and body con dresses run small. The blue watercolor print dress was my pick of the night (although I had to size up).


Shop the collection: