© 2007-2024 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Libertine: Does Target Hit the Mark?

Like many other fashion fans and bloggers, I was curious to see the new Libertine line make its debut today at Target. From the press photos, I wasn't as enthused as I was about the Erin Fetherston, Temperley, or Proenza Schouler lines. The whales and skulls that are part of many of the pieces in the Libertine collection somehow remind me of J. Crew trying to go punk. In my opinion, the whole skull trend was over a few seasons ago when skull-print scarves hit stores like Forever 21. So if the Libertine for Target skull print argyle sweater vests and skull rhinestone tank don't excite me, it's because the motif has lost its novelty. Many of the Libertine pieces looked like basics that I could pick up at the Gap, J. Crew, or Old Navy. For example, striped tunic T-shirts, feminine button-down blouses, cardigans, pleated mini skirts, and military pants dominated the line. Like most of the Go International garments, the Libertine line looked poorly tailored and constructed of inexpensive fabrics. I guess that's the trade off for getting a piece of the designer action from a mass retailer like Target. Nevertheless, I managed to find two stylish pieces that I liked and I did not hesitate to snatch them up.



Libertine for Target I purchased this striped vest with adjustable suspender straps because I like the blue and red combo and it will make a great layering piece for fall. Vests usually seem to flatter me, as I have a small waist. Unfortunately, I bought a size small and it's a tad loose - hence the poor tailoring. The vest has adorable Y-shaped suspender straps in the back, so it's like a halter style. All in all, at $24.99, I think it was a good buy.


Libertine for Target Here is the image of the vest from Target's website.


Libertine for Target This silk tank with stretchy lace trim was only $19.99. It can be pulled down over the waist or worn higher for a blouson effect. It will look better when I iron it and pair it with some skinny jeans or high-waisted shorts.

Target always has cute and inexpensive T's. (This one is NOT by Libertine.) Even though I already have about 3 dozen T's, I can always use another one, right? This one features women's faces on a burnout (sublimation) design. It will look great with jeans and colorful accessories for a casual weekend look. What would I do without my printed T-shirts? They're so versatile and comfortable.


Here is the striped shirtdress from the Libertine for Target line that I did not see in the store and that I am awaiting anxiously. I think the right belt, necklace, and shoes will make this dress a standout piece.

Photo credit: target.com