© 2007-2017 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Betting On Buffalo

Buffalo Exchange


In order to maintain some sense of order in my closet, it often becomes necessary for me to revise the contents. This often means sifting through piles of clothing and sending unwanted items off to local charities. Fortunately for me, I now have another option which is more financially rewarding. Buffalo Exchange is not far away, and frequent visits to sell my unwanted apparel have been reasonably successful. The first time I hauled three bags of clothing and footwear into the store, I wasn't sure exactly what they'd buy and what they would reject. But now I've gotten the hang of it, and I have a general idea of what they'll buy based on my experiences selling to the store and browsing there. Here are a few tips:

1. Keep it clean. I know this sounds obvious, but I've seen some prospective sellers come in with clothes that look like they've seen better days. So I recommend bringing in pieces with no stains, odors, or other signs of wear and tear.


2. Do the trend test. The buyers at Buffalo look for on-trend items that are in retail stores now, and they're also seeking pieces that they know will sell well in their geographic area. So if you've got some women's cropped cargo pants from 2004, those might not be a good choice to sell. On the other hand, a faux fur leopard print jacket would probably be a good bet this season.


3. Look at labels. Part of a garment's resale value comes from its label. So obviously, a dress from Forever 21 is going to sell for less than a DvF dress. As a shopper at Buffalo, wouldn't you generally be more excited to see a designer dress for a low price than a dress from a fast fashion chain?


4. On condition. When gathering items to sell to Buffalo, I try to pick only pieces that are in great condition - no pilling, no rips, no missing buttons, no seams coming undone, etc. I ask myself if I were another shopper, would I buy this garment based on the condition it's in?