© 2007-2017 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The In & Out of '09 Trends

While standing in an unusually long line at Wet Seal today, I had some time to make some observations and ponder fashion trends of 2009. With mild hopes of purchasing two pairs of floral leggings that I didn't need, I waited in line for a couple of minutes. During this time, I grew impatient, and entertained myself by slightly cringing as I watched a teenage shopper try on a fedora with a sequin bow detail. As the girl's friend urged her to buy the hat, it sparked the idea for this blog post on trends that are in and out. Don't get me wrong, I like fedoras, and I even own a few, but I think the trend has run its course on the trend cycle, and I'll wait until they aren't being worn by every pop star before I wear one again. So as the year comes to an end, there are some trends that I'd like to casually declare as in and out. Whether you agree or disagree with the list, it's just a personal assessment of things I think are trendworthy or not.

Out: tattoo prints and tie dye
In: winter florals, animal prints, and Breton stripes
Out: enormous handbags
In: mini bags and minaudiere clutches
Out: ethnic print scarves
In: infinity scarves
Out: fedoras
In: bowler hats, sequin berets, and slouchy beanies
Out: cargo pants
In: tailored jumpsuits
Out: peasant tops
In: tops embellished with chains, fringe, and lace
Out: babydoll silhouettes
In: body con
Out: gladiator sandals
In: embellished boots