© 2007-2017 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Chain Reaction

Feeling newly inspired by the DIY body harness/body chain trend that's quickly traveling through the fashion blogosphere, I got my hands on two of the Shirley drape necklaces from Forever 21, hopped aboard the DIY bandwagon, and embarked on a quick project.

Photobucket

image from forever21.com

While the possibilities for creating a unique body chain are endless, I finally settled on a simple style. First, I connected the two necklaces at the top by removing the lobster clasps and linking the chains together so that they'd be continuous. (Since this is the portion that rests on the shoulder, I didn't want any visible lobster clasps.) The front and back portions of the body chain are the same, except that I removed the fringe-y vertical drape chains on the back portion to keep it more streamlined. The side portions which connect the front and back are chains that I picked up at Michael's. I attached the sides to the front and back with pliers and spring rings. The whole project took under an hour, and while the end result can be tricky to put on and take off, the jump rings make it easy to connect the sides while taking it on and off instead of pulling it on over the head and slipping my arms through.

DIY body chain

After some experimentation, I realized that a simple black tee provides the best backdrop for which to showcase the new necklace. So much for the gray AC/DC tee I was previously wearing...

DIY body chain

As if I don't already have enough studded shoes, I had to add these platform pumps from GoJane to the collection. I'm currently having a pump revival in my wardrobe, as the leg-lengthening styles are classic and go with just about everything I've been wearing lately.

Photobucket

Wearing: H&M sunglasses, American Apparel tee, DIY body chain, Cheap Monday jeans, and Promise pumps.

Photobucket