© 2007-2017 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Just A Thought

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of flipping through magazines whose pages are filled with unattainable, expensive designer wares. Whether it's $1,295 for a handbag or $795 for a pair of pumps, I'd like to see much more affordable options. In consideration of the fact that so many people are struggling financially and cutting back on shopping these days, it would be refreshing to see editorials with pieces under the $50 price point. (Do fashion magazine editors even make enough to afford most of the things they feature? I have always wondered and would love to know, but I tend to think they don't.)

I've been so spoiled by the low prices at fast fashion chains, that now I will rarely spend more than $45 on a dress. I've become so accustomed to buying inexpensive items that I can rarely imagine spending 3 or 4 digits on something that I'll get tired of wearing after a few weeks. Yes, the quality at cheap chic stores leaves something to be desired, but I tire easily of certain pieces and yearn for new things. Cheap chic apparel feeds my love of change and trends, and does not leave me feeling guilty for spending too much when I decide to donate the things I'm done with (even when I factor in cost per wear).

Lately, publications such as Elle, People Style Watch, and Lucky have adapted their spreads to show bargain and budget-friendly finds. I'd like to see more of these. After reading one too many articles about how to shop your own closet this season, I've come to the realization that fashion magazines are in business to constantly promote new items, so if they advocate shopping your own closet, it's contradictory to their objective. (I do appreciate these articles, but they're becoming redundant and mundane.) Magazines have to give readers a reason to buy the products in their pages, so enough with the "shop your own closet articles." If I were going to reduce my shopping or even stop shopping and resort to shopping my own closet, then I would not tempt myself by reading the dozens of fashion magazines that I do. So how about more affordable options, fewer articles about shopping your own closet, and more articles about how/where to shop for great deals, how to host clothing swaps, and other recession-friendly ideas?