© 2007-2017 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Trend On The Rise - Peplum Dresses

The free dictionary defines a peplum as "a short overskirt or ruffle attached at the waistline of a jacket, blouse, or dress." Admittedly, I'm wary of any such design detail on a garment that adds volume in the waist area. During my time spent shopping in Europe this past October, I observed an abundance of skirts and dresses with this sort of peplum styling. For the most part, the trend hasn't drifted across the pond (yet) in a big way, as I haven't seen much of it in my recent shopping excursions. I am somewhat intrigued by peplums, however, and I'm inspired to try a DIY version with a black American Apparel pencil skirt layered underneath another skirt or dress, as I'm not quite ready to buy into the trend. Luckily, I did manage to find a few affordable examples, mostly from European high street retailers.

peplum dresses

Pictured above: 1. Pink and black peplum dress, Miss Selfridge, £35, 2. Rose strapless dress, Charlotte Russe, $32.99, 3. Black peplum dress, Oasis, £35, 4. Sequined peplum dress, Lipsy London, £35, 5. Purple peplum dress, Oasis, £70.

Images from charlotterusse.com, oasis-stores.com, lipsy.co.uk, missselfridge.com.