© 2007-2017 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Mervyn's Mix

As more and more retailers file for bankruptcy in this dismal economic climate, I'm finding myself shopping at liquidation sales this holiday season. Ads promising 60% to 80% off are hard to resist, especially when it involves clothing. JoAnn Fabrics, Mervyn's, Linens 'N Things, and Circuit City are just a few examples of stores that are closing in my area. While I haven't shopped at Mervyn's in ages, the severely discounted prices were enough to get me in the door twice this month. As I browsed rack after rack of ridiculously low-priced merchandise, I became slightly saddened by the thought of never shopping there again. You see, Mervyn's was a store which I had grown up with, and although I traded up for stores like Nordstrom and Macy's later in life, the Mervyn's shopping experience was part of my back-to-school shopping ritual with my parents. When I was a teen, they always had the best prices on Levi's, and could always be counted on to carry affordable basis in the Juniors department. So even though my fashion tastes have changed since my teenage years, I still found two great items - a slouchy striped sweater and a chunky toggle vest, which I paired together for a contrast of prints that somehow manages to work. (When I bought them, I didn't plan on wearing them together, but ended up liking the stripe/plaid combination.)

street style


street style