© 2007-2017 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Shopaholics Anonymous

All of the shopping that I've been doing in the past few weeks has got me thinking - am I addicted to shopping? Like a drug addict feigning for their next high, I dream of some of the items that I'd like to add to my ever-expanding wardrobe. For example, a new Fair Isle sweater from Old Navy. Those TV ads are so enticing and romantic. The fact is that I don't even own a Fair Isle sweater. Do I really need one? No, I could live without one, but there will be a tiny voice in my mind reminding me of how much I want one. While shopping for apparel can be an expensive habit, it could be a lot worse! As far as addictions go, shopping isn't so bad.

As a teenager, I remember the excitement of buying something new and wanting to wear it as soon as I could get home and cut off the tags. On a few occasions, I've even worn an item out of the store and removed the tag so the salesperson could scan it at the register. Nowadays, I have more patience and I prefer to wash my new purchases before I wear them. I feel such exhilaration when I'm shopping and I find something that's novel. I'll start thinking about how I can accessorize such item and what it would match in my closet.

Tonight I felt that excitement when I went to Target and browsed the Alice Temperley racks for the second time this week. Great timing! My store must have received a fresh new shipment recently because they had a great selection of jackets, polka dot thermal long-sleeved T-shirts, and dresses. I bought three more pieces from the collection because I know they'll sell out quickly. The fabulous blue wool jacket that I bought last Sunday has already sold out. I saw it on ebay for about $70, and the store price is $44.99!

I also went to Kohl's to find the colorblock dress from the Simply Vera collection. I saw it in on the cover of one of Kohl's ads and it looked so good! Luckily, it was on sale for $88 instead of the regular price of $128, and they had one left in my size. (They run big in case you're wondering.) When I got home and tried it on, I didn't like the length, as it reminded me of something a librarian would wear. I thought it would be much more flattering if it were shorter.


Simply Vera Vera Wang dress Kohl's

Here is how the dress looked when I first tried it on.

Simply Vera Vera Wang dress Kohl'sAn hour later, I was able to take the trim off and shorten it by 8 inches. It's much more flattering as a knee-length dress. I'm still not sure about the sleeves, as they are drop-shoulder sleeves and tend to make my upper arms appear larger then they really are. Perhaps I'll shorten them. In any case, I added some accessories, changed the belt, and I think it looks much better! It's the perfect winter holiday dress.