© 2007-2017 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Feelin' Greeeeeen

I would like to take this opportunity to remind all of my readers that they should be making changes in their daily lives to produce less waste and to decrease their impact on the earth's delicate environment. While I am far from perfect, I have been doing many things for the past few years in order to lessen my impact on the earth. For example, when I leave a room, I turn off the lights. I recycle everything from boxes and newspaper to plastic bottles and glass. Over the past few months, I have drastically reduced the amount of driving that I do. I combine trips when I have to run errands, and I carpool whenever possible. I am proud to write that I do not (and never would) drive an SUV :) Many of my household electronics are Energy Star, thereby using less power and reducing carbon emissions. I donate books, shoes, and clothing to local charities on a regular basis. I use a low pressure setting every time I shower. I only run the dishwasher when it is full. I use natural household cleaners such as Method (available at Target). I only eat apples if they are organic, as non-organic ones can contain as many as 20 chemicals on the apple skin - yuck.

Here are some suggestions to reduce consumer waste and consumption:

Buy products made from post-consumer recycled materials. Buy products in bulk or with minimal packaging. Shop vintage; fashion is cyclical anyways! Buy apparel made from organic cotton and natural dyes. Buy produce from local growers to reduce emissions generated from transportation. Purchase organic produce - it's grown without harmful pesticides. Use compact fluorescent light bulbs - they'll save you money on your energy bill. Instead of buying new books, borrow some from friends and start a book exchange...or use the library! Get rid of your toxic household cleaners and replace them with brands such as Method. It will make you feel so much better. Turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth, lathering your hair, or shaving - it will save so much water!

If everyone makes small changes, they can add up to have a tremendous impact. That should make everyone feel good about leaving a beautiful planet for future generations.