© 2007-2024 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Kate Young for Target Review

Sunday morning I spent some time shopping and reviewing the Kate Young for Target collection. As I suspected, the store was relatively quiet and the racks were fully stocked. Likely because many non-fashion industry folks may not know who Hollywood stylist Kate Young is, this collection didn't bring with it the frenzy that the Prabal Gurung, Missoni, or Jason Wu collections sparked. My store was still calm and employees were in the process of placing the Kate Young for Target signage on the displays as I arrived around 9:30 am. 

Some Quick Observations:
  • Prices are considerably higher than previous capsule collections at Target, with some dresses as high as $89.99. On the lower end of the price point scale, some dresses start at $49.99.
  • Fabrics are synthetic, with satin, cotton/polyester blends, and rayon dominating the collection.
  • Prints vary widely. There's leopard, star, polka dots, and florals - so there's something for everyone.
  • Linings are heftier than typical Target dresses and transparency was not an issue with any of the dresses I tried on.
  • The bodysuits are sheer enough to require clever layering or undergarments if you're modest.
  • The dresses have a retro flair and an elegant glamour to them, especially the gowns, the chiffon leopard and polka dot dresses, and the Peter Pan collar dresses.
  • The long length of the gowns make them best for women over 5'6". 
  • Some of the dresses have pockets, which always wins me over.
  • Sizing runs true to Target's Misses sizing. I tried on size 2 and XS in everything except the satin shorts, which were a size 4.
  • Back cutouts, rhinestone buttons, Peter Pan collars, flirty slits, bows, ruffles, and attached belts were some of the thoughtful and feminine details that I appreciated in the line. Since Kate Young is an experienced stylist, she seems to have considered what women really want in a dress (e.g., belts, easy zippers, and quality linings). 
  • The arrow and star details on the clutches and jewelry give the pieces a fun and trendy edge. It's all about the playful details in this collection.
  • Many pieces are perfect for weddings and proms if you're willing to spend more than usual at Target.
  • Based on my research, the yellow beaded dress and black jumpsuit seem to be the best sellers online.
Here's a look at the visual merchandising.

Kate Young for Target

Kate Young for Target visuals, signage

Kate Young for Target evening dresses, gowns

Oddly enough, the store carried a decent selection of accessories, such as these clutches, but they only carried one of each shoe style in a size 8.

Kate Young for Target clutches

I found the arrow necklace to be irresistible and perfect for layering with other pendant necklaces that I own. The flame pumps were surprisingly comfortable and had a fun polka dot insole.

Kate Young for Target accessories, shoes

Kate Young for Target clothing

In the Fitting Room

Kate Young for Target strapless bow dress in floral

I loved the print and sweetheart neckline of this strapless dress, although in a size 2, I found it to be ever so slightly large. There's tulle in the lining for extra volume. The dress actually reminds me of a Zac Posen for Target dress. The exposed back zip was sturdy, and how fun are these side pockets?

Kate Young for Target red one shoulder high low evening dress gown

Although I liked the drama of this red high-low gown, I found the fabric to be slightly unforgiving and the length too long for me. I liked the belt, although the buckle in the back was a bit tricky to fasten.

Kate Young for Target polka dot evening dress

The polka dot open-back gown was surprisingly playful due to the ruffles in the back and the exposed skin. I found the tailoring to be higher quality than generally found at Target, and the dress was comfortable. There's also a slit in the front for an extra flash of skin. Unfortunately, the length of this dress was also too long for me.

Kate Young for Target Peter Pan collar floral dress

As a fan of Peter Pan collars, this softly printed floral dress was a top pick on the racks, although when I tried it on, I would've preferred a shorter length and a shorter shirred waistband area. On the bright side, the soft print and feminine pleats make it ideal for summer parties or casual weddings.

Kate Young for Target peplum star print dress in navy and black

I tried on the peplum dress with tulle just for fun, because it wasn't an obvious choice for me. The belted waist and metallic star print on the bodice were my favorite features. I'm intrigued by how this looks like two pieces when it's really one. My verdict? It's best for taller women, as the tulle can be overwhelming on petites.

Kate Young for Target star print one shoulder evening dress

The star print evening dress had a side slit, full lining, hefty lining, and voluminous shoulder ruffles (as seen in detail below). The defined waist and easy side zip appealed to me, although once again, the length was too long.

Kate Young for Target star print one shoulder evening dress

My Favorites

Kate Young for Target chiffon leopard print dress

The leopard and polka dot chiffon dresses above and below were surprise hits for me. The defined/belted waist, flirty shape, and godets make this style a major winner in my book. The fabric is lighter in weight than some of the other dresses, but I was impressed by the tailoring. This style evokes an elegant and simple 1950s glamour, and I could imagine how I'd style either one of these: with red heels, a lightweight white cardigan, red lipstick, and a fun pendant necklace.

Kate Young for Target navy chiffon polka dot dress

The drop waist dress below also comes in purple and pink but I chose black for its versatility. There is a triangular cutout (not seen) in the upper back for some exposed skin, and once again, an attached patent belt. I love the classic vibe, A-line silhouette, darts, and the seam details in front. While seams at the hips can be tricky for me, I found this dress to be flattering. The rayon/nylon/spandex blend fabric felt both comfortable and hefty. I'd probably style this with the leopard booties and a red skinny belt.

Kate Young for Target Black Drop Waist Dress

As a lover of floral prints, this rose print dress caught my eye in the lookbook and even more so on the racks. There's a peplum, a vertical ruffle, and also a hemline flounce, making this dress ultra feminine and ladylike. The button behind the neck was tricky to fasten, but when I got past that, I fell in love with the tailored waist and sophisticated shape of the dress. The length was favorable, and although I didn't buy it, I may go back for it. I think it would work well in an office (with a blazer, cardigan, or pumps), or for a party (with strappy heels and some sparkly bracelets).

Kate Young for Target rose peplum dress

The satin blazer runs big, as I'm wearing XS and had to push up the long sleeves. I paired it with the satin shorts in size 4 and the lace bodysuit, which wasn't itchy at all. Since I already own a similar white blazer and black lace top, I didn't find them special enough to buy. The satin shorts, however, won me over. I didn't intend to buy them when I saw the lookbook, but I loved them when I tried them on. They're made of comfortable cotton/polyester satin (with a slight sheen) and they have pleats with belt loops and side pockets. I can envision dressing them up with a sequin jacket, pumps, or a tuxedo blouse, or styling them more casually with a sweater, some wedges, or a cropped top.

Kate Young for Target cream satin blazer, satin shorts, and lace bodysuit

Since shoes are my weakness, I had to try on the pumps and the number one item on my wish list - the leopard bow booties. Both seemed comfortable and easy to walk in. The ankle boots were an obvious choice to add to my collection. The bow detail and satin fabric dresses them up just enough to make them a special addition to my shoe wardrobe, and I'm looking forward to showing how I wear them on The Key To Chic.

Kate Young for Target Neema flame pumps and Naya leopard booties

For those of you who shopped the collection or are looking to buy some of these pieces, I hope you find this review helpful! 

If you have any questions, feel free to tweet me @thekeytochic or drop me a comment on Instagram.