© 2007-2017 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Early Bird Gets the Dress - Shopping Target's Designer Collective

As much as I'd love to wear a Rodarte dress, a Rodarte for Target dress is much more realistic and attainable for me. It's also better suited to my budget and lifestyle, hence my unabashed love for Target's GO International program. Despite reading shoppers' online complaints about the poor fit or quality, I believe there are some gems to be found in some of these collections. Furthermore, if well cared for, some of these pieces can hold up over time. Case in point: my two Erin Fetherston for Target Peter Pan-collared dresses still look like new after over four years and lots of TLC.

Despite having shopped each and every collection in the past five years (except for Tara Jarmon), I viewed the rerelease of 34 GO International dresses from 17 designers this past Sunday with anticipation and mild excitement. No, they didn't release all of the dresses that I wanted them to, but several made my wish list: the Rodarte slip dress, the Erin Fetherston bunny print dress, and the Jovovich-Hawk floral dress. Somehow, I missed out on these the first time, or they simply didn't appeal to me in the past. Determined not to let them slip away again, I planned to visit Target sometime on Sunday morning.

When I awoke quite suddenly and unexpectedly early on Sunday morning at 7:49am (really 6:49am if you take into account the time change), I decided to throw on some jeans and try my luck right away in the newly remodeled Target nearby. Upon my arrival at 8:03am, not only was I the only shopper in the clothing department, but apparently, I was also the first shopper. (This is one of the few benefits I enjoy from living in a style-challenged suburban area.) Perfectly sized racks of dresses merchandised by color greeted me, and I noticed that this store carried all of the 34 dresses, with 2-3 of each size in most of them, except for the Rodarte slip dress.

For those that are wondering, the Anna Sui, Jean Paul Gaultier, McQ, and William Rast collections were part of the Designer Collaborations program, not the GO International program, so they weren't included in this release. I'm curious as to how successful this rerelease will be with consumers, and I'm silently hoping they'll do a rerelease with some of the jackets from past collections. I missed out on buying the Behnaz Sarafpour leopard print jacket, the red Zac Posen biker jacket, the Rodarte faux fur cropped jacket, and the versatile Tracy Feith moto jacket.

Target Go International Designer Collective

Target Go International Designer Collective

Target Go International Designer Collective

Target Go International Designer Collective