© 2007-2017 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

10 Things I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger

Sometimes an idea for a blog post will pop into my head at the most inconvenient time, such as when there's nowhere for me to jot my ideas down. This morning, while in the shower, I reflected back on what I've learned about health, beauty, blogging, and life in the past fifteen years. Hence, the idea for this post about ten things I wish I knew when I was younger. I had to learn these lessons the hard way. If you have anything you'd like to share, I welcome your insightful comments.

1. Focus on what you like about your body and learn how to highlight those areas, while camouflaging your least favorite features. Don't like your neck but love your arms? How about a sleeveless top with a scarf? Don't like your curvy hips? Balance them with bootcut jeans or trousers.

2. Wear sunblock every day, especially on your face, hands, and neck. You'll be grateful in a few decades, when you appear younger than you are and your skin shows fewer signs of sun damage. Also, tanning=sun damage=premature aging.

3. By the time you reach 25-30, you can't get away with eating junk food and not exercising because your muscle mass decreases and your metabolism slows down. The older you are, the harder you have to work at maintaining or losing weight. (This is why I spend 10+ hours per week exercising. It helps me feel and look my best.)

4. Eating unprocessed food such as blueberries, tomatoes, and avocados will improve your health and make your skin more radiant. These foods will also give you more energy. Food that comes in a box, can, or package is probably going to have sugar, sodium, or preservatives. It'll be less beneficial to your health and won't provide sustained energy.

5. Don't surround yourself with people who are negative, jealous, abusive, manipulative, or opportunistic. Eliminate toxic behavior and focus on having positive energy around you. Visualize yourself reaching your goals.

6. This may sound random, but my iMac has changed my life. Compared to the inefficient and disappointing Dell laptop my former employers bought for me a few years ago, my iMac has made my life more enjoyable and productive. Mac>PC. This is something that both of my current computers (a Compaq and an iMac) affirm for me every day.

7. When going to a job interview, interview them as well. Ask yourself what it would be like to work there. Research the company and your interviewer, and ask detailed questions. You're potentially going to be spending lots of time there and you should make sure you are a good match.

8. Don't sign up for credit cards on your college campus. Who cares if there is a free T-shirt? It's not worth it. It's a dangerous debt trap.

9. If you're an independent fashion blogger, you probably won't gain widespread popularity unless you A) showcase yourself and your style by playing model to the camera or B) you repost pretty photos and have fashion industry connections. Readers are interested in you and the details of your life. Ask yourself how much you value your privacy.

10. Challenge yourself to be polite and patient in frustrating situations. Yes, it's tough, but the positive energy will come back to you.