© 2007-2024 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tucker for Target - A Fitting Room Review

Another quiet Sunday morning, another GO International collection to review at Target. Truth be told, the Tucker for Target collection didn't motivate me to wake up early or stalk Target in the days leading up to the release (in the hopes it would be released early), as the Rodarte or Erin Fetherston for Target collections did. After reviewing the Tucker for Target lookbook and the Gilt pre-sale, I knew I wanted to try on the floral button-front dresses, the bomber jacket, and the fleece jumpsuit.

My store appeared to have about 75-80% of the collection, and shoppers weren't exactly mobbing the racks, although a few were trying the Tucker pieces on when I got to the fitting rooms. An interesting side note - as I walked to the fitting rooms, I spied quite a few of the Tucker dresses and long-sleeved blouses on the go-back racks, especially the black boucle dress and the signature dress in diamond print.
Tucker for Target


Tucker for Target


Tucker for Target


Tucker for Target
The racks appeared fairly organized and neat around 11am. I only took five pieces to the fitting room. First up, this floral pull-on number, in size XS. The waist has flattering elastic cinching, which gives the dress a feminine hourglass silhouette. The barely-above-the-knee length was also flattering, and the skirt has a subtle A-line shape. Bonus - it has two side pockets, which I love. Although it's made of polyester, it's soft and comfortable. It would be perfect for the office with a skinny belt, a tailored blazer, and some peep-toe pumps, or ideal for lazy weekends with a chunky cardigan, a beret, and ballet flats.

Tucker for Target button-front dress in painted flowers print
Below is the same dress in a different print. The buttons have "Tucker" printed on them, which is nice instead of "Tucker for Target." Although the fabric is lightweight, I can envision this dress with tights, boots, and a sweater when the temperatures drop, making it versatile and seasonless (at least in California, where I live).

Tucker for Target dress in little flowers print


Tucker for Target dress in little flowers print
The standout piece, and also the most expensive piece in the collection, is this faux fur Persian bomber jacket. The soft floral lining is what sold me on this jacket. It's not only a nice feminine touch, it's comfortable and whimsical. Quality-wise, this jacket is a winner. The zipper is sturdy, the pockets are comfortable and easy to access, the cuffs and hem are ribbed, and the texture of the faux fur is plush. I'll be reaching for this jacket several times per week when the weather cools down, so the cost per wear will make it well worth the $79.99 price.

Tucker for Target Persian bomber jacket


Tucker for Target Persian bomber jacket

I opted to try on the velvet burnout dress out of sheer curiosity. I wasn't crazy about the smocked back, although the Southwest-inspired print and vibrant colors intrigued me. Plus points - velvet is an emerging trend for fall/winter, and this dress would work well on taller ladies. The length was too long on my petite frame, but I appreciated the side pockets and shoulder-baring silhouette.

Tucker for Target velvet burnout dress
The last item I tried on, the gray fleece top, had a slightly awkward cowl neck and stiff hand to the cotton fabric. The fit was slim on the XS, but as on previous pieces, I adored the side pockets. If you've got great arms, the cap sleeves will show them off.

Tucker for Target fleece top
My overall observations on fit: the long-sleeved blouses run big, the dresses run fairly true to size, and most of the tunic dresses would look better with a skinny leather belt. I can't write about the fit of the sweaters or vests, as I didn't try any on. For reference, I tried on size XS in everything except the bomber jacket, which was a small.
Quality is an improvement over previous collections, although polyester seems to dominate. Prices also seem to be slightly higher. The least expensive piece I spotted was the circle print tee for $19.99.
Silhouettes are more sophisticated and modest than other GO International efforts. The skirts in this collection are long and A-line (so they aren't flattering for shorties like me).
Colors are deep and muted, in line with what I'd expect for a fall collection. There's a wide variety of colors and prints, which is a plus. (I'm generally not a fan of rust, mustard, merlot, or chocolate hues, so a few pieces didn't appeal to my color preferences.)

I think Gaby Basora stayed true to her design aesthetic of making versatile, easy-to-wear tops and dresses that impart a carefree yet chic vibe. Her tunic dresses and breezy blouses translate well at Target's price points, although silk instead of polyester would've been nice. In the spirit of designer collaborations, let the countdown for Mulberry for Target (on October 10) begin...
© 2010 Fashion Trend Guide