© 2007-2024 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

My Non-Review of Jean Paul Gaultier for Target

No doubt some of my readers are awaiting my review of Jean Paul Gaultier for Target, which debuts today. After all the blogger buzz and amateur reviews surrounding Rodarte's line for Target, I temporarily lost my enthusiasm for fitting room photos and commentary on Target's collaborations. Having reviewed these lines for years, I've realized that Target doesn't respond to or acknowledge the existence of bloggers and their opinions, or their powerful impact on consumers.

Admittedly, I succumbed to my curiosity, staying close to my computer last night for the midnight arrival of the collection on Target's website. It became available at precisely 12:07am PST. As I browsed the pieces online, I decided that nothing was worth purchasing, as I found it bland, boring, cheap-looking, and largely uninspiring. In an effort to give the line a second chance, however, I inspected the goods in person this afternoon, only to find groups of wide-eyed shoppers eyeing and admiring the sleeveless tees and the quilted leather moto jacket. Not surprisingly, my store sold out of the navy/white striped anchor tee. It appeared that the trench coat, safari jacket, tattoo leggings, shirts with shrugs, and shirtdresses were not in stock either. Here is how the racks looked around 12:30, minus the interested shoppers and the expected JPG for Target signage and promotional visuals that were oddly missing and that usually accompany these Designer Collaborations.

Jean Paul Gaultier for Target

Jean Paul Gaultier for Target

Jean Paul Gaultier for Target

Jean Paul Gaultier for Target

Jean Paul Gaultier for Target
I decided to forgo trying anything on, as I didn't see anything that appealed to me. The tattoo printed top, swimwear and transparent halter dress looked so cheap that I had to cringe. As I stroked the yellow halter dress, I noted that the nylon fabric felt like a deflated balloon - not something I'd want on a day dress. The length on the halter dresses was so long I think it would only flatter a woman of six feet. I know it's an esteemed designer like Jean Paul Gaultier, but cheap, slippery polyester tops (like the blue cut-out shoulder top or the necklace tank tops) have no room in my closet. On the bright side, I'm awaiting the Liberty of London pieces next weekend, since nothing brightens my day quite like a colorful floral print from the Brits.