Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Bow Blouse

One of my favorite collections for fall is Peter Som's debut effort for Bill Blass. So much so, in fact, that I was inspired to create my own southern California cheap chic version of his ladylike creations. My favorite pieces are the soft blouses contrasted against the floppy bows; it's very French chic meets Blair Waldorf/prim-and-proper-looking schoolgirl. To create my own look, I started with a simple oversized button-front top from Forever 21.

Photobucket

The top came with a removable stretchy black belt, which is a nice perk for a garment that only costs $19.80. I removed the belt and all ten of the clear buttons and added black ones in their place. An hour of sewing and several pin pricks later, I pinned on a detachable bow from an Erin Fetherston for Target dress, and tah-dah, with minimal effort, the shirt has a whole new look. A wide grosgrain or satin ribbon tied into a floppy bow would also achieve the desired effect. For a dressier, office-worthy look when the temperatures drop, I may tuck the shirt into some slouchy trousers and add a tailored blazer. For a night on the town, I may tuck it into a pencil skirt or wide-leg jeans and then add some sky high heels. (And if I'm looking to dress up like a waiter for Halloween, the good news is that I've already got part of my costume.)

Photobucket
© 2008 Fashion Trend Guide

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...