© 2007-2024 Fashion Trend Guide. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material on Fashion Trend Guide without express and written permission from Fashion Trend Guide's author is strictly prohibited, and immediate legal action will be taken against any infringement of copyright.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Four Days Early...Target GO International Private Label Collection 2 Preview & Review

Knowing that Target often receives its GO International Private Label Collections early, I went to a store near me today to inspect the latest effort by Target's in-house design team. While it's not supposed to be in stores until June 29, I called first to confirm my hunch that it had been set out on the floor a few days early. Having seen preview photos online, I knew which items I was looking for - mostly the floral pieces. (Lately I've been drawn to florals, and I can thank Luella Bartley for that!) As I browsed the 3 racks, I noticed that only about half of the collection was on the floor. Each item only had one size, and it appeared that a few pieces had been snatched up already. I carefully inspected my favorite ones, and with a heavy armful, headed off to the dressing room for another one of my GO International photoshoots.

Target Go International Private label The blue cotton A-line top that I tried on first had cute button details, cutaway sleeves and a cutaway back hemline, which I liked. I did not like the fit (it runs large) and decided not to buy it because the top really did not flatter me. For consumers who buy this, perhaps a skinny belt or fitted vest would help to emphasize the waistline.

Target Go International Private label
The two photos above show me in the 100% rayon ruffle tank dress, which I preferred in black. The fuchsia is a size small, while the black is a medium. I sized up to a medium because I realized in the 2-way mirror and harsh lighting that the dress is quite form-fitting and shows every curve. The 2-layered ruffled sleeves sit over a tank silhouette, and the V-neckline is flattering. The ruffle down the front, which I was expecting to be very unflattering, actually helps to camouflage the stomach area. (That's helpful if your stomach isn't perfectly flat.) I ended up buying the black one, as it will make a perfect little black dress for all seasons.

Target Go International Private label
Next I tried on the (100% polyester) floral cowl neck tank, which has a criss cross back and very low neckline. I will have to look for this in an extra small, as the straps on the small were too long. There isn't enough fabric in the front for the cowl neck to drape properly, but I like the shape of the top. For 100% polyester, it feels like a low quality silk. With the exception of the fact that it runs big, I give this top a thumbs up. The multi-layer ruffle skirt looked good with the floral top, but it wasn't unique enough for me to want to buy. I tried a size 3, and it ran big in the waist. The fabric was very lightweight, and the ruffles are asymmetrical. Overall, a thumbs up, but not enough to warrant a purchase. (Note to Target designers - if it was printed or in a different/lighter/more summery color, I probably would have bought it.)

Target Go International Private label

The slash-pocket floral shorts fit me well, as I sized up to a 5. I tucked the floral cowl neck tank into the shorts and it looks like a one-piece. At $24.99, these shorts are one of the best pieces in the collection. They skim the hips in a flattering way, are made of 100% cotton, and with all of the colors in the floral print, they're versatile for mixing and matching. Definitely a thumbs up.

Target Go International Private label The floral print flounce miniskirt was the next item that I tried on. Like with the shorts, I kept the floral top on to see how they'd look together. The skirt is also 100% cotton, and has a nice red interior waistband. I would have liked to have seen on-seam side pockets on this skirt, but for $26.99, you can't have everything. This piece has pleats like a cheerleader skirt, and although I was expecting them to add bulk and be unflattering, I was pleasantly surprised. It would make a great skirt for daytime or for a night on the town. My verdict on this one? Thumbs up, and I bought it.


After the miniskirt I tried on the floral print camisole and the slash-pocket shorts in pink. The shorts were exactly the same as the floral ones, so I decided not to buy them since I wasn't crazy about the coral-pink hue. The camisole had a slightly blurry digital-ish floral print, and a banded elastic waistband. I tried it in extra small, and it was quite tight and constricting in the bust area, but large in the waist area. In the 3 photos below, I tried wearing it tucked under and then I tucked it in to reduce the volume. I didn't buy either of these pieces. I give the camisole a thumbs down for poor fit and a slighty dizzying print.



I liked the fit of the coral-pink racerback tank pictured above and below, but it's one of my least favorite colors, so I passed on it. The stripes on the back are sheer, and of the same color as the shorts, so the two pieces work well together. I was pleased with the fit (a size small), as it was consistent throughout the bust, waist, and hip area. Below, I tucked it into the shorts, so it appears shorter than it really is.


The final item that I tried was this double-layer tank in blue. The two pieces weren't sewn together very well, and the fit runs small/narrow in the waist area. It's a nice basic tank top for summer, however, I didn't find this piece to be terribly unique or exciting from a fashion designer's point of view, so I didn't buy it.

I also spied a great floral ruffled bikini, but they didn't have my size, so I'll keep looking. Also on my wish list from this collection are the tiered ruffled floral dress, the tan graphic tee, the tiered ruffle miniskrt, the tiered ruffled top and maybe the one-shoulder top.

**June 28th update - for a review of more pieces from the collection, read my review from Friday June 27th here.

© 2008 Fashion Trend Guide