Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I've Been Tagged


So I've been tagged by The Cheap Chica to do a book meme. The rules are simple. I pick up the nearest book with more than 123 pages, turn to page 123, read the first 5 sentences, and then post the next three sentences.

I've chosen Fashion Forecasting by Evelyn L. Brannon. This isn't going to make any sense, but here it goes:

Data were gathered by continually monitoring 6,000 local newspapers each month to "pinpoint, trace, and evaluate the important issues and trends" (Naisbitt, 1982). The idea was that trends and ideas began in cities and local communities rather than in urban centers like New York and Washington, D.C. Content analysis of local papers revealed those issues and trends that were competing for scarce resource of space in the newspaper.

Taken out of context, this probably makes no sense. Let me clarify. The author is basically trying to explain that long-term trend forecasts are sometimes inaccurate because intervening events can deflect or reverse trends. The 3 sentences that I posted explain the methodolgy used to make predictions in a bestseller book called Megatrends.

At the moment, here's what I'm thinking: who knew that fashion forecasting was such painstaking hard work? Sometimes people overanalyze the artistic aspects of culture. Fashion should be fun, and sometimes trends cannot be predicted with scientific accuracy! I thought this textbook would be interesting, but so far it's been dull and I have been struggling to get through it. On a good note, if I ever have trouble falling asleep, I know what book to grab to help me nod off.